Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's Raining Fashion

"It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring". Man, I wish I was asleep, I am so tired. But I'm not and it's raining. It has been raining a lot lately, well a lot more then usual. So, I'm thinking I should take the plunge and buy some rain boots? I really dislike them, but I'd rather wear goofy shoes and be able to walk comfortably then avoid the tiniest of puddles and still end up destroying my favorite pair of shoes. But yet, I am still unsure. Where do you cross the line between fashion and practicality?

And just for fun....

In England, during the nineteenth-century, it was considered vulgar to hold an Umbrella under one's arm. Well-bred people gripped their umbrellas in the middle, with the handle turned toward the ground. Only silk Umbrellas were considered fashionable by the British upper crust, and these only if they were blue or green. For the general public, umbrellas were an unaffordable luxury. When it rained the ordinary man or woman would hire an Umbrella from a local stand, usually at the cost of one and a half pence per hour.

My umbrella, while green, is not made of silk. It's cute, with charms and small pink roses, a birthday gift from on of my best friends. Quite funny actually, considering my birthday is in June. Aren't inside jokes the best?

2 comments:

Ella Gregory said...

I never knew that about Umbrellas
nice blog

Ana said...

i never knew that about umbrellas

haha

i love prancing around the rain so i do have a cute pair of rainboots from tar-jaaay